January 11, 2010

BP3_2010011_Web 2.0 T1-Storybird

Please click the following link to access my storybook: http://storybird.com/books/if-you-give-a-mouse-a-doughnut/


Deciding on a web tool:

After looking through numerous Web2.0 tools, I kept coming back to one that I so eagerly wanted to explore. I was hesitant to use it for my blog because two of my wonderful classmates, Stacie and Abbie, already posted their wonderful examples and insights on the tool. However, I figured this was something I also wanted to learn and implement in my own teaching experiences for the future. After being inspired by Stacie’s and Abbie’s stories, I decided to learn more about the tool and how it can be used to benefit students.


Using the tool:

After watching the amazing tutorial, I became a HUGE fan of www.storybird.com. I signed up and created a storybook right away! Wonderful illustrations are provided to simply drag and drop onto the pages. Inserting text was as simple as inserting text on any given word document. Adding another page was as easy as a click of a button. Everything is kept so basic and simple so even a new user can smoothly create their own storybook without any frustrations or emotional outbursts directed at the computer or the program.


Educational uses:

I have only taught younger elementary school children. Although this tool could be used for a wide range of grade levels, my ideas derive from the experience I have had working with younger children. Many of the students I have taught are still learning basic reading and writing skills. This tool is great because it provides illustrations for students to be creative and write their ideas. I would use this as a tool for students to either individually or collaboratively write stories. Some of those stories may be focused on certain grammatical concepts being taught depending on the unit. For example, if we were learning about punctuation marks, I would teach students the basic concepts of how to use periods, exclamation marks, and question marks appropriately. Then, I would allow them to demonstrate their understanding of such concepts by creating a story that includes those punctuation marks. I think this would be a great way to encourage students to become not only writers but also actual publishers of their own work.

In addition, students can also use the tool as a reading library. Many stories are reviewed and published for public display. I would allow students to view and comment on the stories. I think this would boost students’ confidence and encourage them to evaluate, reflect, and respond.

With these ideas, I hope to help students improve in their reading and writing abilities. But most importantly, I hope to help them feel confident in the work they are producing.

3 comments:

Thourn Heng said...

I had many emotional outbusrt while exploring the web for Web 2.0 tools. Then, I found one that I can use for any level of mathematics, Algebra to Calculus. AN ONLINE GRAPHING CALCULATOR that works like any TI Graphing Calculator.

Yippy!!!

Was that an emotional outburst?

vote4pedro2ice said...

Great tool, "Sonic," lol, the only thing that would concern me about that web 2.0. tool is copyrights, do the children have full right to the work that they publish or ? check into that.

My emotional tech outburst tend to be more than just, Yippy!!!
Just last week I used an old printer I had for batting practice. The printer ran out of ink, and when i tried to buy some more, the ink for the printer cost more than the printer was worth, AGHHH!

Rena said...

Fantastic post! I am glad you chose to do this after all. Your book is unique as were Stacie and Abbie's. Very well done! Your ideas stem from your experiences, as do theirs, and you all came up with individual and wonderful insights. Awesome post, Sarah!

Post a Comment